News about the W. Ross Ashby Digital Archive
This page contains announcements about the Digital Archive.
— The Journal view was extended with an option to switch between normal resolution images (1900 pixels wide with enhanced contrast) and ultra-high-definition images (4k pixels wide with the original color balance and contrast).
— The British Library featured Ross on two blogs:
"Pioneering cybernetics: an introduction to W Ross Ashby"
and "The Thinking Machine: W Ross Ashby and the Homeostat".
- January 2014 — Various photos of conference participants were added to the Centenary Conference page.
- November 2013 — Thanks to Ronan Le Roux, who contacted us with scans of four previously unpublished letters that Ross wrote to the French mathematician, Jacques Riguet. We created a Letters from Ross Ashby to Jacques Riguet page, which also includes thumbnails of Journal pages that mention Riguet and help show how Ross was influenced by him.
- January 2013 —
In the Biography, a table of contents was added and in the section about the Homeostat, we have added thumbnails of all Journal pages that contain newspaper clippings about the Homeostat.
- April 2010 — It appears that we have mistakenly been misrepresenting the An Introduction to Cybernetics PDF as being the second edition. The PDF is the second impression of the first edition.
- September 2009 — Transcripts of all summries that Ross wrote at the end of his journal entries (over 2,300) are available on the Summaries page, and the text of each summary is included above the appropriate journal images and thumbnails.
- April 2009 — The contents and images of the 14½-category, 830-card Other Index were integrated into the archive.
February 2009 — The International Journal of General Systems Volume 38, Issue 2, edited by Peter M. Asaro and George J. Klir, is a special issue about "The Intellectual Legacy of W. Ross Ashby".